I wrote my first plugin for Sublime Text. It is quite simple. It takes the text of the current document and turns it into a new Mail.app message. The first line of text is used as the subject line.
Originally I wanted it to use converted markdown text, but Mail’s AppleScript interface has no proper API for HTML messages.1
To implement AppleScript in my plugin I used Dr. Drang’s Code for combining Python and AppleScript:
But that code doesn’t work with Sublime Text 3. Sublime Text 3 uses Python version 3.3. Since Python 3, quite a lot has changed, especially in the treatment of Unicode text.
After some searching I found the small change I needed to make the code work:
needs to be changed to
That is because Python 3 internally transforms any text into binary
data. If you want to output Unicode again, you first have to reencode it with
Maybe this will be helpful to somebody else.